Friday 12 October 2012

THIRTEEN WAYS OF LOOKING AT A MONDAY



I
Among my plenty cosy dreams,
The only busy thing
Was the hand of the Monday.

II
I was then of a busy mind,
Like a bee
To which there are eternal Mondays.

III
The Monday morning bustle in the quiet streets.
It was a small part of the working week.

IV
A Kojo and an Adjoa
Are one.
A Kojo and an Adjoa and Monday
Are one.

V
I do not know which to prefer,
The duty of moderations.
Or the beauty of stress,
With Monday listening
Or worse after.

VI
Noise outside the office window,
Blocked by the window pane.
The fallow of Monday
Tossed around, in and out.
The mood traced in the fallowness
An unacceptable loss

VII
O people of Ghana,
Why do you love Fridays?
Do you not see how Monday
Walks around and greets
With hard work around you?

VIII
I know principled businesses
And coherent, inescapable productiveness;
But I know, too,
That Monday is involved
In what I know.

IX
When the Monday crew is out of might,
It knocks off the wedge
Of the lazy cycles.

X
At the sight of Mondays
Crawling under the street lights,
Even the royals of indolence
Would bow down frighteningly.

XI
He drove during the weekend
In a sleek convertible.
Once, his gear tricked him,
In that he mistook
The speed of his vehicle
For Mondays.

XII
The traffic is not moving
Monday must be ending

XIII
There was work all day
There was activity
And it was about to end
Monday now sighed
Its relief in bed


This was written in response to 'The 13 Ways Challenge' at People Of Equal Thoughts & Spirit [P.O.E.T.S]’s Facebook group wall.
Through the inspiration of Poetra Ama Asantewa, as well Tiffany Cybrie Howard.
The challenge was based on the poem “Thirteen Ways Of Looking At A BlackBird” by Wallace Stevens. I intentionally chose to mimic the structure.

 I chose to write with 'Monday' in title because I wrote it on the  *13th* day of June,2011 which was a *Monday*,and lastly because my name is Kojo (born on a Monday).




No comments:

Post a Comment